Wednesday, June 22, 2011

what's good?

A. chocolate chip cookies
B. the northern way of saying "What's up?"
C. the absence of evil
D. God
E. All of the above

The answer: E (if you like chocolate chip cookies...which I don't). But let's focus on D.


I really am struggling with God's goodness recently. Not necessarily in my life but my thought process when it comes to saying "God is good." I know He is good. I say He is good. But what is all this based on? Because when I look at my life, my mind, my actions...does my life say he is good? I'm not sure. Until recently I was challenged by a friend that God's goodness is dependent on my circumstances, the circumstances of my life. His goodness is sometimes based on my fruit, and what he gives me only.

For example: Tomorrow, if I went to Starbucks and this super godly guy asked me out I would say: God thank you, you are so good.

BUT- if I do or do not go to Starbucks tomorrow, and do or do not get asked out on a date...Get this: God is STILL good.

I realize that how I feel about God is constantly changing based on the circumstances of my life. But God does not change. He is always the same.

  • "For I the Lord do not change; therefore you, O children of Jacob, are not consumed." Mal 3:6

  • "Every good and perfect gift is from above, coming down from the Father of lights with whom there is no variation or shadow due to change." James 1:17

  • "They will perish but you will remain; they will all wear out like a garment. You will change them like a robe, and they will pass away, but you are the same, and your years have no end." Psalm 102: 26,27

  • "Jesus Christ is the same yesterday and today and forever." Hebrews 13:8


God is good. Not because he gives me the strength to make it through the day, not because I get asked out on a date, not because he gives me enough money to support missionaries, not because he allows me to have the righteousness of God, not because I have salvation in Him, not because I woke up this morning, not because I have the ability to study His word, not because he gave me good godly community. God is good, because he is good. Good is his character. And it will always be. God is good if I don't have the strength to make it through the day, if I don't get asked out on a date, if I don't have enough money to support missionaries, if I don't have the righteousness of God, if I don't have salvation, if I didn't wake up in the morning, if I didn't have the ability to study the word, if I don't have good godly community. He is good. Period.


The LORD is good, a stronghold in the day of trouble; he knows those who take refuge in him. Nahum 1:7

No comments:

Post a Comment